Sonnet for Sylvia Plath

 



     Today is the birthday of Sylvia Plath. Hey Google, thanks for reminding me! Now can you please play the song I have asked for the last three times?

     Sylvia was ahead of her time and she gave the world a brilliance that was extinguished by depression by the time she turned 30. It is an unfortunate truth that the people with the most to offer the world are often crippled by it. I have seen mental illness destroy the most beautiful humans that I know. I send love and light to all who face these challenges. I also send the same to all those impacted by loved ones struggling with mental illness. National suicide prevention hotline   1-800-273-8255.       

Oh, Sylvia, I understand you well
You merely felt what we all feel in life;
Walked through the world in a personal Hell
You tried so many times to end your strife;
Sleepless nights, thoughts tormenting heart and mind
A genius beauty whose light oh did glow;
The dark of depression is never kind
No matter your light, you wanted to go; 
Your legacy of words graces us still
Would the medications now help you stay? 
You were not crazy, but terribly ill;
Now, hundreds of souls choose this every day
Unbearable torment, I cry and cry ;
Though that is not something that I will try 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Destination